War in Sudan: more than 200 thousand people have fled their homes in recent months

Война в Судане: за последние месяцы более 200 тысяч человек покинули свои дома

© IOM/L.George Floods in Sudan have worsened the humanitarian crisis. War in Sudan: more than 200 thousand people have fled their homes in recent months Refugees and migrants

The UN’s International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Wednesday that escalating fighting in Sudan since late 2025 has forced at least 200,000 more people to flee their homes. Devastating seasonal floods only worsen the humanitarian disaster.

The organization also warned that the delivery of aid to the people of Sudan is complicated by disruptions in global supply chains associated with the blockade of the Strait of Hormuz and attacks on ships in the Red Sea. 

A total of 8.6 million people have fled their homes across Sudan since the conflict began in April 2023. A significant number of refugees continue to take refuge in neighboring countries.

IOM Director-General Amy Pope stressed that ongoing attacks on civilian infrastructure have pushed families to the brink of survival.

“The warning signs simply cannot be ignored. Across Sudan, people are fleeing violence, losing access to water, electricity and medicine, and now suffering from devastating floods, she said. “Without urgent measures to protect civilians and provide basic services, the scale of the disaster will only grow.”

The situation in various regions

In the state of North Kordofan (south-central part of the country), prolonged blackouts began due to heavy fighting and UAV strikes on the main power substation in the city of El Obeid. The work of pumping stations and hospitals has also been disrupted, and communication problems have been reported.

In Sheikan district (Northern Kordofan state), the number of displaced people has increased by 25 percent over the past eight months. Overall, in the Kordofan region, which includes the states of Western, Northern and Southern Kordofan, more than 200 thousand people have fled their homes since the end of 2025.

Clashes in and around the town of Geysan (Blue Nile State) have forced approximately 7,800 people to leave, some of them across the border into Ethiopia. In West Darfur state, 18,000 people fled their homes in the first half of August alone.
In North Darfur state last week, heavy rains destroyed or damaged about 1,350 structures in the overcrowded Tawila camps, displacing more than 1,000 families. Floods in the cities of Kabkabiya and Shangil Tobaya forced dozens more families to move into temporary shelters.

IOM says a significant number of people continue to return to the capital, Khartoum.

Humanitarian assistance

Over the past three days, IOM has delivered 1,750 tons of supplies to the affected areas, including 17,750 hygiene kits and 850 tents. 

110,750 people have already received assistance in areas with the most urgent needs. That number will exceed 400,000 in the coming days.

“Sudan’s displacement crisis is one of the largest in the world,” Pope said. “IOM is doing everything we can to save lives, but we need urgent support to continue supplies and keep people sheltered.”

Источник

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *